qBittorrent is a cross-platform, open source bittorrent client. Attractive, easy to use, and full-featured, it is my preferred client on Windows, and tops my list of clients to try on Linux.
On Linux, your distribution’s package manager should carry qBittorrent.
On Windows, download qBittorrent from the project site and install in the usual way.
A Portable Apps version is available for Windows; download and install it as you would any Portable App.
qBittorrent’s settings are found in Tools – Options. Non-default settings I usually set are:
- Behavior – Language: Set as desired, then restart qBittorrent.
- Behavior – Desktop – Show splash screen on start-up: Disable.
- Behavior – Desktop – Start qBittorrent minimized: Enable.
- Behavior – Desktop – Ask for program exit confirmation: Disable.
- Behavior – Desktop – Close qBittorrent to notification area: Enable.
- Behavior – Desktop – Power Management – Inhibit system sleep when torrents are active: Enable on portable devices. Disable on systems configured to automatically hibernate or suspend under certain circumstances, such as a power or hardware failure.
- Downloads – Hard Disk – Save downloads to: As preferred. On Windows, qBittorrent uses %systemdrive%\Users\USER\Documents\Downloads\ by default; I usually change this to Windows’ default download location %systemdrive%\Users\USER\Downloads\.
- Speed – Alternative Global Rate Limits: Set as appropriate.
- Bittorrent – Share Ratio Limiting: Seed torrents until their ratio reaches 2.0, then remove them.
- Advanced – Check for software updates (Windows only): Set as appropriate. I disable when used on a kiosk or other multiuser box where most users couldn’t make an informed decision anyway.
- Advanced – Exchange trackers with other peers: Enable.
Set qBittorrent to start on user login. On Linux I like to run it with lowered priority, not because it’s necessary but because it’s a good idea for background applications generally.
ALTERNATIVES TO QBITTORRENT
If qBittorrent is not what you’re looking for, there are alternatives.
These notes were last updated 30 October 2012 using qBittorrent 3.0.5 for Windows.