JoomEdit requires Gears and a Gears-compatible browser on the development computer, so install them before continuing. The developer states that a future release of JoomEdit will eliminate that dependency.
DOWNLOADING, INSTALLATION, AND INITIAL CONFIGURATION
Download JoomEdit from OSTraining. You will need to provide an email address, after which the page will refresh and a download link will appear. On one browser with secure settings, the download link did not appear; using a different browser with out-of-the-box promiscuous settings worked.
JoomEdit is installed in Joomla like any extension. Once installed, go to Extensions – Module Manager – Site and open the JoomEdit module. The following settings worked for me:
- Details – Show Title: Hide
- Details – Position: Debug
- Details – Status: Published
- Details – Access: Special
- Menu Assignment – Module Assignment: Only on the pages selected
- Menu Assignment – Menu Selection: Select one page to use for testing
- Basic Options – Edit Mode: On
In the “Place deployed code here” space, paste the following:
Save your changes.
See the users guide. I find that the page formats poorly and text is truncated, so I disable CSS in my browser to read it.