Files to back up if you use the Opera browser. These notes consider only backing up Opera as a browser. If you use Opera as a mail or Usenet client or as a feed reader, those cases are considered separately.
Where Opera’s per-user files are found depends on which operating system you use.
- Linux: ~/.opera/
- Windows Vista or later: %sysdrive%\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera\
- Windows PortableApps: %drive%\PortableApps\OperaPortable\
I back up:
- dictionaries/foo.oow (words you added to your spell check dictionaries, replacing foo with each dictionary’s name)
- sessions/foo.win (your saved sessions, replacing foo with each session’s name)
- toolbar/ (your customized toolbar setup)
- cookies4.dat (master cookie file)
- opcert6.dat (personal certificates)
- operaprefs.ini (general settings)
- override.ini (site specific settings)
TODO: Document how to back up the per-user preferences of extensions. This is perhaps best documented in each extension’s article and not here. In the meantime, I back up the ~/.opera/widgets/ directory, which is overkill but presumably contains what I want.
I use the Opera Link synchronization service, so I do not need to back up the following. If you do not use Opera Link, then consider backing up:
- bookmarks.adr (bookmarks)
- global_history.dat (history)
- notes.adr (notes)
- search.ini (search engines)
- speeddial.ini (Speed Dial settings)
- typed_history.xml (history)
- urlfiler.ini (blocked content)
- wand.dat (password manager data)
These notes are based on Opera 11.61/Linux and were last updated 14 February 2012.
Opera Software’s list of files to back up